The Spiegelglass Construction Story
Over a Century of Quality
Though a lot changed since Joe Spiegelglass started the business in 1904, much has stayed the same. The values that shaped the company’s early years - sky high ethical standards, highly personalized client service and more - still define the company today. Joe believed in hard work, in helping his clients in any way he could, in going above and beyond.
That work ethic and commitment to his clients were the foundational elements that allowed his business to flourish - not only did his clients come back each time they needed help, they recommended Joe to their friends. Before the days of e-mail or cell phones, clients knew they could reach Joe when they needed him, and he would be there to help them think through a project or solve a construction problem. And word spread.
At first, Joe was a one-man operation - a carpenter with a push cart whose work primarily included repair work for the storefronts in downtown St. Louis. As retail grew in the city during the 1930s, the department stores became larger, and Joe found he needed additional help to keep up with the requests coming in. He hired a few carpenters to work with him, and then little by little began bringing on subcontractors to assist in their individual areas of expertise. During this period he cemented his role as the general contractor, working directly with his clients and taking responsibility for the overall projects.
The city of St. Louis continued down a development path - and Joe’s phone continued to ring. The 50s brought office build-outs in high rise buildings, the 60s and 70s brought the city’s first regional shopping centers, and the national chains began coming to town in the late 70s and 80s.
Harold Spiegelglass (far left), Mel Spiegelglass (left center), Ann Spiegelglass (right center), Joe Spiegelglass (far right)
Tim Spiegelglass with father, Barry Spiegelglass
By the 1980s, client after client started asking Spiegelglass to travel. After careful consideration and discussions with long-standing clients including Panera Bread Company, Fleming’s Steakhouse, Ann Taylor and Lerner’s, the company’s leadership decided to expand with work out of town - agreeing only to help existing clients grow their footprint throughout the Midwest.
Spiegelglass Construction grew with its clients, but the company did it carefully and slowly to ensure that their clients were taken care of and the spaces were built out to the exacting specifications that Spiegelglass was known for.
The growth brought continued opportunity over the years - Joe was proud to have his son Harold join “Spiegelglass & Son” in 1946. In 1961 and 1972 respectively, Harold’s sons Mel and Barry joined as well. In 1967, Spiegelglass & Son became incorporated as Spiegelglass Construction Company. Barry’s son Tim joined the business in 2004 - the company’s 100th year.
Currently, Barry and Tim - who specialize in retail, restaurants and office spaces, are co-owners of the company.
As the construction industry continues to evolve, the company’s methodical and disciplined approach allows for the focus to remain on its clients and the long-standing relationships that have been at the core of Spiegelglass Construction since 1904.